Learn Something New Everyday


I have always found the numbering of C: A Journal of Poetry confusing. Secret Location on the Lower East Side lists that there are 13 Issues, but Issue 12 was never issued. C Comics #1 is a de facto Number 12. Once I got my mind wrapped around that I was still confused as I have seen discussion of an Issue 14. So technically there are 13 issues. What the hell is that?
Well turns out Issue 14 is Michael Brownstein's Behind the Wheel. This poetry collection is a C book but it is also described on the copyright page as "issue number 14 of C Magazine." Alex Katz provided the cover art. It was published in 1967 in an edition of 200 copies of which A-F were signed by author and artist as were 1-10. That leaves 184 trade copies. A pretty low run.
JB

0 comments:

Post a Comment