LISTEN


I'm heading out for a long day at the office tomorrow, and likely won't have time to post, so this one's coming in a little early for you Creeleyfest night owls. I don't know why the word 'handsome' comes to mind so often looking at Creeley's books, but it does. Could it be, in this instance, the old style face on the cover printed on a distinct beige combined with the bright, almost neon-orange cloth spine and matching endpapers? Traditional and yet... who knows? This is one of the better designs by Barbara Martin for Black Sparrow Press (absence of BM's images?), printed with precision by Noel Young. Black Sparrow's business model had its flaws, but they published many, many important works by some of my favorite authors, some in striking editions, others less so, but the book has yet to be written about Graham Mackintosh's contributions to this and so many other presses of this era in American publishing.

I've read this radio play (Creeley's only) so many times that I believe I could recite it in its entirety. When my friend and fellow Buffalo Poetics graduate Sarah Campbell told me she was interested in the relationship between   radio and poetry, this was one of the first things that came to mind, and so far as I know, it has never been performed for a public aside from the recording made for Westdeutscher Rundfunk, West Germany, on December 1, 1971 in a translation by Klaus Reichert. I'm so glad that it is available on PennSound, along with a link to the essay I wrote about Listen called "Meaning, I Hear You" for Golden Handcuffs Review.

—KS

0 comments:

Post a Comment