A Weekend in Bolinas












So what do you do when everything is going to shit in the big city?  You pack your bags, check your head and head to Bolinas.  I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed here in Charm City so for the past couple of weeks I have been reading Bill Berkson's Big Sky magazine before I go to sleep in an effort to transport myself into a better mental geography.

I have been thinking a lot lately about what the great magazines of the Mimeo Revolution happen to be and I have to say I really enjoyed the time I spent with Big Sky.  A fantastic magazine.  And just like C or Fuck You, Big Sky made the jump from magazine to press, publishing several books under the Big Sky imprint.

All the great mimeo publications capture a time and a place.  As the Big Bridge feature on Bolinas makes clear, Big Sky clearly fits the bill in that regard.

It just so happens that the Mimeo Mimeo archives are well stocked in Big Sky items.  So we are going to spend a weekend in Bolinas.  I have to admit that I haven't read any Big Sky titles but the magazines but that is not going to stop me from posting all or nearly all of the Big Sky catalog over the next two days.

Head over to the Cuneiform Press page and maybe we will post more than covers.  The World of Leon, Big Sky #7, is already up there.  I have to say it was pure pleasure entering the world of Leon on a cold winter day when the water pipes were freezing and the gas lines were leaking.  You just have to laugh sometimes.  And hanging out with Leon will help you do just that.

JB

0 comments:

Post a Comment