To Wit


When I went to school in London in the early 1990s, I would often pick up a copy of Viz, which was usually laying around the Student Union to check up on the continuing adventures of San and Tray, The Fat Slags (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdE2GWERYJ4). I would also take a peek at Sid the Sexist and Johnny Fartpants. It was my attempt to fit in with British Prep School humor. I must admitt not one of my finer moments of political correctness. Viz was in decline in terms of readership by the time I was in London.
In a previous post, I mentioned Jeff Nuttall's My Own Mag as a forerunner of underground comics. Nuttall's tie to comix is even more clear in Knuckleduster Funnies, a "Viz for intellectuals" that ran for four issues in the mid-1980s. Photocopied by Robert Bank's Arrowspire Press, Nuttall (aka Lydia Hesse) was the editor responsible for contributions and distribution. See http://jeff-nuttall.co.uk/html/knuckleduster_funnies.html.
JB

2 comments:

Victor H. Marsillo said...

Do you own copies of Knuckleduster Funnies, or were these images taken from somewhere else?

Jed said...

I own these.

Post a Comment