ONCE UPON A TIME

I found this copy of Leland Cutler's Once Upon a Time at the local bookstore. It was privately printed by John Henry Nash of San Francisco in 1934 in an editor of 600 copies. I was attracted to the balanced margins, the large type and ornamental caps. When I shared the book with colleague of mine from Houston he immediately noticed that it was inscribed to Jesse Jones, a prominent entrepreneur and politician from Houston who was active during the Great Depression. Cutler was the President of the Board of Trustees at Stanford University and an insurance businessmen. The whole inscription reads: "To My friends, Mr and Mrs Jesse Jones, with memories of an enjoyable evening in their home--such as I tried to talk about on page thirty eight of this book."
--KS

0 comments:

Post a Comment